JOHANNESBURG (miningweekly.com) – South Africa is in a unprecedented place to revolutionise its personal economic system and provide inexperienced hydrogen to the world, PwC mentioned on Monday.
“The power transition is and shall be greatest international theme this decade,” PwC affiliate director James Mackay informed journalists at a digital occasion lined by Mining Weekly.
However regulation is crucial for South Africa to capitalise on the inexperienced hydrogen alternative efficiently.
With the world more and more turning in direction of nations which have optimum renewable power assets to supply the clear power of the long run, South Africa is able to reap the numerous rewards on provide, PwC Africa’s inaugural ‘Unlocking South Africa’s hydrogen potential’ Hydrogen Report 2020 acknowledged. (Additionally watch hooked up Creamer Media video.)
PwC Africa power, utilities and assets skilled on hydrogen and power renewables Jonathan Metcalfe, PwC Africa power, utilities and assets chief Andries Rossouw and Mackay shared their evaluation and insights on South Africa’s inexperienced hydrogen power potential.
The PwC report discovered that:
- South Africa shall be nicely positioned to safe its personal home provide of power that may anchor financial progress, however extra importantly develop into a web exporter of power within the type of hydrogen-enabled chemical substances, fuels and merchandise to excessive demand markets in Europe and Asia;
- Alternatives exist for South Africa to partake within the international hydrogen economic system however will rely largely on investments in renewable power era, in addition to the event of a transparent hydrogen technique; and
- If South Africa commits to a sure, clear, steady and accountable coverage surroundings for hydrogen, the nation can reap the numerous rewards on provide.
South Africa is at some extent to make a shift to renewable power within the face of rolling blackouts, power shortages, excessive electrical energy tariffs and years of under-investment in energy infrastructure. Hydrogen could possibly be considered one of many options to the nation’s seek for various power sources, PwC acknowledged throughout a digital media occasion.
The report offers with the difficulties of decarbonisation, the potential for inexperienced hydrogen in South Africa, and the numerous alternative it presents for presidency and the non-public sector to embrace.
“This publication is a baseline and within the coming months we’ll be launching additional deep dives into particular alternatives, each domestically and internationally,” Metcalfe mentioned.
The report’s key themes are:
- Hydrogen is crucial to reaching international decarbonisation;
- The time to behave is now;
- South Africa has the aggressive benefit to supply and export inexperienced hydrogen;
- Hydrogen means extra than simply gasoline cells;
- Investing in hydrogen is important to diversify the South African economic system; and
- Regulation is essential for South Africa to efficiently capitalise on the inexperienced hydrogen alternative.
The advantages to South Africa of investing in inexperienced hydrogen are:
- the chance to leverage its renewable power assets into inexperienced hydrogen, inexperienced ammonia and different hydrogen-enabled merchandise as international alternate earners;
- the era of quite a few jobs alongside the worth chain and the event of a specialised abilities pool;
- the reinforcement of home power provide and the decreasing of the landed price of power;
- a strengthening of the economic system by way of sector coupling by way of hydrogen’s functionality of carrying power into a mess of various sectors;
- decarbonising home power and industrial sectors; and
- supporting mining on account of hydrogen gasoline cells and electrolysers stimulating demand for Southern Africa’s platinum group metals, plus the demand pull for metals and minerals from photo voltaic and wind energy tools.
“By no means earlier than have we seen extra traction round hydrogen, each from a nationwide technique and roadmap launches within the final 24 months and in addition elevated quantities of funding being freed up throughout each the private and non-private sectors to fund hydrogen initiatives,” mentioned Metcalfe.
“Though hydrogen has had false begins prior to now, by no means earlier than have we sat with such an ideal situation of consciousness round international emissions and in addition the price issue of renewable power. So, we actually do consider that now’s the time for hydrogen to play a key function within the power combine,” he mentioned.
“South Africa has the aggressive benefit to supply and export inexperienced power. We actually do sit with world-leading photo voltaic and wind, notably our offshore wind. We have now the chance to capitalise on this and transfer ourselves from being an power importer to being an exporter of fresh power by way of the export of inexperienced hydrogen,” Metcalfe mentioned.
ADDITIONAL EXPORT REVENUE
“As a way to have profitable restoration of the South African economic system, we have to begin stimulating further export income and taking part in to the strengths we have now and the aggressive benefit we have now in South Africa. Hydrogen provide a compelling argument to assist generate all-important international forex going ahead, and utterly revolutionise the South African economic system,” mentioned Metcalfe.